Thursday 17 March 2011

Gig Photography

As a general rule, I don't enjoy function photography. I feel quite intrusive, taking photos of people I don't know and someone always seems to have their eyes shut or their mouth open (or both). The lighting can also be bad and it's tricky using flash whilst still wanting to be subtle! I don't like the pressure of trying to get that perfect photo for someone- I'd rather take it unofficially and then be able to show them it.

Flight Brigade 19th Feb

However when it comes to gig photography, it's an entirely different matter. I started taking photos at Vane Tempest Sessions last term and have done it pretty much every week so far this year. 

Flight Brigade 19th Feb

As I run the Sessions, I don't have the pressure of trying to impress anyone because I only have to meet my own standards, although we do use the photos on Facebook to promote events. There's also not the problem of being intrusive- bands fully expect to have their photos taken at gigs and sometimes they will even ask to have images put on a CD for their own use. So I can take as many photos as I want, whilst obviously being aware of people's enjoyment of the music (it's not great to be listening to a really quiet track and have someone clicking away incessantly behind you). And although the rooms are dark, the lighting is great on the artists and I love playing around with strong light contrasts.

Samuel Brookes 22nd Jan

These a few of my favourite pictures so far. They're not necessarily the biggest bands we've had to play but I like what the images capture of the night.

John Oliver 22nd Jan - Durham favourite beat-boxer

John is the only support act that we've had back three times- he is very talented and always goes down well. For this set, the lighting just seemed to be perfect. Of course having only one person to light rather than a whole band makes things a lot easier too.

Joseph and David 5th March

I find that there are some shots I've got in the habit of taking every week and this is one of them. I think it captures the ambiance of Vane Tempest Sessions in some way.

Emily (and the Woods) 5th March

Because of the strong dark/light contrasts, the temptation is to have my camera permanently stuck on the monochrome mode because black and white photographs look better much more easily. But I have learnt the benefit of flicking back into colour which gives a less stark finish.

Richard Walters 19th Feb

Richard is one of those people who is really expressive when he plays- not just with his face but his whole body. Ideal subject matter for a photographer!

No comments:

Post a Comment